Protect yourself from scams
Have you been contacted by someone claiming to be from nbn asking for personal information and you’re not sure if it is a scam?
If you have provided bank account, credit card, or gift card (iTunes/Coles) details to a scammer claiming to work for nbn, you need to:
- Contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
- Report the matter to your local police. You could also report your issue to the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC).
- If you have provided remote access to your computer or financial information to a scammer, contact IDCARE on 1300 432 273.
- To protect others, report scams to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) via SCAMwatch.
Things to keep an eye out for
- If someone claiming to work for nbn has contacted you trying to sell you an internet or phone service and you’re in doubt, ask for their details, hang up and call your retail service provider to check if they’re legitimate.
- Do not share your bank or personal details with an unsolicited caller or with those who door knock claiming to be from nbn trying to sell you an nbn™ service or seek payment for related services.
- nbn™ approved technicians and workers carry enAble™ identification cards – always request to see this card before providing physical access to your address.
- Never give an unsolicited caller remote access to your computer via the installation of programs such as Team Viewer.
- nbn does not call you with automated assistance to advise you will be disconnected – we suggest you hang up the phone.
- nbn is a ‘wholesaler’ – you will need to purchase an nbn™ powered plan through a phone or internet provider. We only accept direct payment from the public in certain circumstances e.g. switching technologies at your premises.
- nbn does not sell or authorise the resale of any equipment via alternative means, including websites such as eBay, Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace. Any nbn™ equipment purchased online through these means may be faulty and fail to work when connected to the nbn™ broadband access network. nbn™ equipment is only available directly via nbn, our associated delivery partners or through a phone and internet provider.